Sunday, December 20, 2009

Jaden's going to school...

I didn't really think that my little man would be going to school so soon, but we had our evaluation with the school system and he qualifies for a placement due to his reluctance to talk or pay attention. I am doing some sensory work with him in the meantime, but he should start the first week in January. I suppose the best Christmas present for him is going to be riding in a bus. He is in love with all trucks, fire engines, ambulances, school buses and semi's. It's amazing how much of a little man he is already. I am excited for him to get into a classroom with teachers who have been trained to redirect him appropriately and are prepared for his personality quirks. It's difficult to get people to understand, because he's not outwardly disruptive in a group. He just retreats, but that is a problem too. Since we have started Speech Therapy once a week at home, he has make great strides. I also have him on a Sensory Diet that just lets him experience different textures while he eats. It's been a great way to get him interested in the world without being overwhelmed.

Today I am making a sensory blanket. I didn't really know what this was until I read up on another mom's blog. I am filling mine with beans since I don't want to go to the store in search of the doll-making pellets that she suggests. I suppose if it works, I will make one of that eventually. It would be great to be able to take him to the movies, or to unfamiliar places without him getting upset and having a meltdown. I know that at 2 years old, there are certain places that he is just not going to be happy going, but I also know that there are things that he wants to be able to do and cannot because he is overwhelmed. It is also supposed to help with falling asleep, which would be great for naptime!

No comments: