Monday, September 28, 2009

Afghanistan

I know that everyone, like me, is worried about Adam getting orders to Afghanistan.  I am still railing against the decision in my heart, and probably will be for a long time.  It's a horrible thing to know that he has to leave our family and within a couple of months.  I have more information that makes it somewhat softer news.  He is going to a very safe area, so safe it has a Burger King.  I guess you can have it your way, no missiles included.  Even insurgents seem to know that it's wrong to bomb flame-grilled goodness.  He will be supervising a watchfloor, so don't bother sending baby wipes, he's not on patrol in the sandbox.  I still hate the idea of him going, but am glad it's relatively safe, considering everything.  We also will be negotiating for follow-on order immediately, so I will be able to prepare before he even arrives home.

Preparing for any deployment is rough.  I am always wondering how I will manage without my best, most consistent help.  The twins are so much work, and so unpredictable with changes to schedules.  A huge help is already in place this time, their school, Little Lights at Virginia Beach Beacon Baptist Church.  They have so much fun and learn such great lessons about God and their place in the world.  I am so grateful.  I have also had friends volunteer to help out and watch them when I need a break or a helping hand.  I think of the alternative, setting up a home in a couple of months in a new place without any friends or family, and feel doubly blessed.  I will be planning the 3 year old birthday solo, so help there would be appreciated as would some family and friends visiting to break up the monotony of my groundhog day-like life.

I am happy that the duty seems to be one that will be great for his promotion potential, because it's more responsibility and in such a tough situation.  I will continue to pray for President Obama to decide to pull all of our soldiers and sailors out of harms way and send them home.  I ask all of my friends and family to do the same.

No comments: