Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's a wonderful life...(of a star)


So I had the tv on the other day and saw a snippet of, "It's a Wonderful Life". I am not sure why but it has been rolling around in my head. I was struck about how interconnected we all are. Marketing tells us that we are individual and separate, but we are really all one heartbeat. So little ole George didn't think that his life was worth too much. He saved his brother from falling through the ice when they were kids and that brother went on to save many men and win the Congressional Medal of Honor.

When I was a kid, not more than 13 or so, my brother had a serious accident. He was found unresponsive in his room and had been for several minutes. I called the ambulance, a volunteer firefighter who lived nearby and my Mom who was at a food co-op meeting in another town. This was done after performing CPR on my little brother for at least 15 mins and he began breathing on his own. Gabe was 12 then. He had lots of surgeries, including chest tubes and a lengthy time on a heart-lung machine (ECMO). Now he has a little girl, Selena, who will soon be 4 years old. I haven't seen her in quite a while, but I know that she is here in part, because I took CPR class in the 6th grade.

Do you have a George Bailey moment?

No comments: